Top Tips To Get The Best From A Virtual Event
1st - 5th November 2021
View more details on the conference agendas | Planning | Insight & Quality| Community Connection|
For the virtual conferences we will email you links to the sessions you have selected and a session invitation to add to your calendar.
- Check you receive our email with the session links
- Test that you can access these links beforehand, if you are new to our conferences, as some companies have restrictions.
- If you haven’t booked any sessions, look out for a daily email with key session links, check your junk email folder if necessary.
If possible, when joining sessions, turn off other phones/devices and set up in a space where you won't be disturbed. You can concentrate on your learning if you are not worried about being interrupted.
We use Zoom for interactive sessions, like workshops and technology showcases
- If you cannot access this through your work computer, you can download the app to a personal device and join without disclosing your personal information.
- Choose the gallery view setting so you can see all the participants. This is at the top right of the screen on the desktop version. For mobile devices you swipe left.
- When you join, show your name and organisation. To change your name, use the three dots at the top right of your own video square in the Zoom gallery view on the desktop. Or chat the Forum team and we can do it for you.
- On the desktop version, the controls are usually at the bottom of the screen. Note that you can use phone audio if your internet connection is not stable. Ask us on chat if you don’t know how to use this.
- In small group discussion, we ask you to unmute, and also to share your webcam if you are comfortable and able to do this. This creates an environment for better sharing and discussion.
- In the large group, please mute. You can use the Chat function to ask questions or add comments if you find something of particular interest. This kind of comment encourages others.
- We have now set up Closed Captioning on all our Zoom calls. Check that you have version 5.7.1 or later and you can turn on full live transcription or Closed Captioning if you need it.
For keynotes we usually stream live on a dedicated web page
- The live broadcast automatically appears at the start of the session.
- Login to the chat function, which you can use to see comments/information. Remember to include your name and organisation. You can use this to ask questions and make your own comments as the speaker is talking or during the Q&A time.
- If you have issues viewing the video refreshing the page usually fixes this